Ilham Khoiri, was born in Bojonegoro, East Java; on December 2, 1974
Family: Khairunnisa (wife), Binar Beningembun (daughter)
- 1983-1987: Elementary School in Bojonegoro, East Java
1987-1990: Secondary School in Bojonegoro, East Java
1990-1993: Senior High School ini, Jember East Java.
1993-1998: IAIN (State Institute of Islamic Studies) Jakarta, Faculty of Ushuluddin (Theology), with B.A. thesis entitled: “The Qur’an and Arabic Calligraphy: Study on the Qur’anic Influences on the Development of Arabic Calligraphy.”
1999-2002: Institute for Technology of Bandung), Master Program in Departement of Fine Art, with MA thesis entitled: “Study on Discourse of Islamic Modern Fine Arts in Indonesia” (1970-2000). Under the sponsored of Ford Foundation.
Experiences in Journalistic and Writings
- 2003-now: Reporter/journalist of Kompas, The Morning Daily/Newspaper, Jakarta
- 1999: Reporter of weekly magazine GATRA
- 1998-1999: Editor of a number of works in Logos Wacana Ilmu publisher, Jakarta
- 1999: Writer of “The Qur’an and Arabic Calligraphy: The Role of the Scripture in Transforming Culture” (Jakarta: Logos Wacana Ilmu publisher).
- 1999: Editor for book, “Feather Painting: Transforming Waste into Works of Art” (Yogyakarta: Mitra Gama Widya publisher).
- 1995-1996: Chief editor of student journal, Gong, Faculty of Ushuluddin IAIN Jakarta.
Achievements in Academic, Art, and Culture
- Favorite Winner, I, National Painting Calligraphy Competition, held by private TV station, SCTV (1995)
- The best graduate, honor student, cum laude, IAIN Jakarta (1998)
- Indonesian’s Delegation in The International Exhibition of Qur’anic Calligraphy, Teheran, Iran (2001)
- Winner I, Cultural Award 2005, (Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Republic of Indonesia, 2005)
- Winner II, Tourism Award 2005, (Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Republic of Indonesia, 2005)
- Winner I, Malay Culture Journalism Award, (Yayasan Sagang Melayu, Riau, Sumatera, 2007)
- Indonesian’s Delegation in The International Exhibition of Qur’anic Calligraphy, Islamabad-Lahore, Pakistan (2009)
- Participant at The International Art Journalism Institute in The Visual Art at The American University, Washington DC, The United State (2009)